Thursday, July 8, 2010

What is the difference between a Marriage & Family Therapist and other kinds of counselors?

This was one of the first questions I asked as I explored options for graduate work and a career move. I met with Licensed Clinical Social Workers (LCSW) and Licensed Marriage & Family Therapists (LMFT) to discuss the different disciplines. Other counselors include: Psychologists and Licensed Professional Counselors (LPC). The last agency I worked for had all four diciplines housed together, so I was able to get a better picture of the similarities & differences between them. Here's what I've seen, heard, & experienced: In the agency I worked for all four types of counselors worked with the different client groups. For example, as a Marriage & Family Therapist I worked with individuals, couples, and families. The LCSWs, Psychologist, and LPC also worked with individuals, couples, and families. While different types of counselors may work with different kinds of clients groups there are some distinctions in training and therapist preferences. As a Marriage & Family Therapist I was trained in "systems." This means that when someone comes in with a "problem" I find it most helpful to take a holistic view of what's happening and rather than looking at the isolated "problem" alone, take into account other factors that influence and are affected by the struggle. That means, if an individual comes in for help with depression, I see that client's own self as a system (which includes a physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual body). I find it most helpful to address the cycles, and the influences of the different parts of the self as they pertain to the issue presented. I also assess the influences and effects of larger systems, such as the marital system, family system, etc. Systemic training also adds an important dimension of understanding when working with a couple or members of a family. This holistice and comprehensive view of "problems" was what drew me to Marriage & Family Therapy. The more I do this work, the more I am convinced that true healing comes not from simply getting rid of the "symptoms," such as depression, anxiety, addictions, relational problems, etc., but comes from addressing the deeper, underlying experiences that feed the symptomatic cycles. If there are more specific questions on this topic please feel free to comment or email (jennymorrowcounseling@gmail.com).

1 comment:

Andrea said...

I really like this description of the type of therapy you offer.